Honor Guard

Fallen Heros

And when he goes to Heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
Another Marine reporting, Sir;
I've served my time in hell.

Samuel Eliot Morison,
a Marine variant

SGT Phillip A. Brocks SGT Phillip A. Bocks

SGT Phillip A. Brocks

On Nov. 9th, 2007, SGT Bocks and 13 other U.S. soldiers were returning from a meeting with elders from the village of Aranus, Afghanistan when they were ambushed by militants using rocket-propelled grenades and firearms. Capt. Bocks, 28, died immediately. Five other Americans died in the attack and eight were wounded, Espinosa said. Three Afghan soldiers were killed.

A gun and outdoors enthusiast, Bocks joined the military in 2000 at age 20, training at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in Parris Island, S.C. He had no relatives in the military; he loved it from the beginning.

Before he signed up for service in the Middle East, with training stops in Japan and Hawaii, Bocks had been scheduled to transfer from the Bridgeport center to another unit.

And although his patrol shifts over the harsh Afghanistan terrain were difficult, Bocks never complained in his frequent e-mails and phone calls to his family. Instead, he was focused on an upcoming tour of duty in Hawaii.


SGT Phillip A. Brocks
SGT Phillip A. Brocks

1LT Nathan Krissoff 1LT Nathan Krissoff

Lt Krissoff 1LT Nathan Krissoff of Reno was killed Friday, 9 December 2006 in al-Abar province in Iraq, his family said. Marine Corps officials Saturday notified the Krissoff family. The family said in a statement the lieutenant routinely took part in patrols throughout al-Abar, often told them of the heroism of his Marines and was proud to be part of creating a more stable Iraq.

The family said in a statement the lieutenant routinely took part in patrols throughout al-Abar, often told them of the heroism of his Marines and was proud to be part of creating a more stable Iraq. "His Marines were his first priority," the family said. "He consistently and courageously led them from the front. His commitment to his family, the Corps and his country never wavered. He was a tremendously loyal son, brother and American who made the ultimate sacrifice for the defense of his country. Krissoff joined the Marine Corps in June 2004. He was a counterintelligence officer assigned to the 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion based in Okinawa, Japan.

Krissoff graduated from Williams College in Williamstown, Mass., where he was captain of the swim team.In Reno, Krissoff was a world-class kayaker, qualifying for the U.S. Junior National team with his younger brother Austin in 1998. Nathan Krissoff was also an alpine skier. "If you think about it, it's kind of the same sport," Nathan Krissoff told the Reno Gazette-Journal in 1998. "Instead of skis, you've got a 14-foot boat under you. Instead of poles, you've got a double paddle in your hands. And instead of reading the hill to find the fastest route down, you're reading the water, trying to find the fastest route down the river."Nathan and Austin Krissoff grew up river rafting with their father, Bill Krissoff in Truckee. The brothers specialized in wild water kayak racing."I like wild water because it's really a challenge," Nathan Krissoff said in 1998. "It takes power and endurance to make it to the bottom of a five-mile course, technical skills to maneuver around the obstacles and a lot of skill to read the river and find the fastest current."Charles Albright, a friend who said he trained in rowing with Nathan and Austin and was a patient of their father, an orthopedist, called the fallen marine a "fantastic human being.""He was caring, friendly, outgoing and very polite," Albright said. "He was a perfect son for Bill and Kris (his mother). "When we talked, you could tell he took his service to his country seriously."

LCPL John Robert Kunkel LCPL John Robert Kunkel

LCPL John Robert Kunkel

John the son of Albert and Gwendolyn Kunkel of Cedar Ridge CA enlisted in the US Marine Corps on February 28, 1968. He arrived in Vietnam on September 16 and was assigned to HQ Company, S-2 Section, 7th Marines, 1st MARDIV (Rein) FMF. A security patrol from Company A, approaching the hamlet of Xuan Diem, north of Hill 55 in Dien Ban District were fired upon by the Viet Cong. LCpl Kunkel who was with the patrol was hit by the enemy rifle fire and died as a result of a gunshot wound on January 3, 1969 in Quang Nam Province. His freeway plaque is on the West Bennett Street overpass.

LCPL John Robert Kunkel

PFC Ernest E. Lawrence PFC Ernest F. Lawrence

PFC Ernest E. Lawrence

Little information is available for Lawrence, who died on February 16, 1968 when he was only 18. He had only been in Vietnam one month when he was killed by small-arms fire in Thua Thien Province.

Ernest is buried at North San Juan Non-sect Cem, Nevada Co, CA.

PFC Ernest E. Lawrence

Bronze Star LCPL John (JT) Lucente

L/Cpl John (JT) Lucente

Marine Lance Cpl. John Lucente, 19, was killed 16 November 2005 with four other Marines as they performed a sweep for enemy combatants in Iraq's al-Abar province near the Syrian border. He was awarded the Bronze Star with combat "V" device. "He wanted to be a Marine," John's Stepfather, Shawn Mason said. "He knew that's what he wanted to do."

Lance Corporal John "JT" Lucente - Details

LCPL John (JT) Lucente

LCPL Gary Ames Miller LCPL Gary Ames Miller

LCPL Gary Ames Miller

Miller, 18, was brought up in Grass Valley. He was killed by enemy gunfire in Quang Tin Province. After his death, American Legion members in the community erected a monument in honor of Miller and all other Vietnam veterans in Grass Valley's Memorial Park. It is believed to be the first Vietnam memorial in California and was dedicated Nov. 11, 1966. His Golden Center Freeway plaque is at the west end of the Brunswick Road overpass.

LCPL Gary Ames Miller

CPL Robert Conover Piercy CPL Robert Conover Piercy

CPL Robert Conover Piercy

Piercy, 21, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio and had relatives in Nevada County at the time of his death. He was killed February 7, 1968 by small-arms fire in Thua Thien Province almost five months into his one-year tour.

CPL Robert Conover Piercy

Cpl. Sean Stokes Cpl. Sean Stokes

Cpl Sean Stokes Sean A. Stokes, U.S. Marine Corporal recently killed in Iraq, fought insurgents with his fellow Marines in Fallujah even while hiding shrapnel wounds on his arms and legs, said a writer embedded with Stokes' platoon in 2004.Stokes' platoon and its' role in the fight for Fallujah is the subject of a History Channel documentary, "Shootout, D-Day Fallujah," which first aired in Summer 2005. "He actually hid his wounds so he could stay with the rest of the guys," said Patrick O'Donnell, author of the book "We Were One" and one of the documentary writers. "That's (cause for) an immediate evacuation" from the field if platoon leaders discover the wounds, he said. Stokes, 24, died Monday, 30 July 2007 from wounds suffered while conducting combat operations in Al Anbar province, according to a United States Department of Defense press release. Corporal Stokes received the Silver Star for his actions.

L/Cpl Adam Strain L/Cpl Adam Strain

L/Cpl Adam Strain

Lance Corporal Adam Strain, 20, was killed by small arms fire on August 4, 2005, in Ar Ramidi, Iraq. A 2003 graduate of Nevada Union High School, Adam lived in Smartville with his family before joining the Marines after high school. While at Nevada Union, Adam played defensive end on the Miners football team. Prior to joining the Marines, Adam worked as a courtesy clerk at SPD Market in Grass Valley. A service was held in Vermont where his parents reside. Another service was held in Grass Valley on Saturday, August 13, 2005. The Marine Corps League was there to honor this fallen hero.

L/Cpl Adam Strain